Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Using Fabric as...Wall Paper?

A couple of posts back I revealed my French Provencal hutch redo. To be quite honest, it turned out great, but I still wasn't wowed! Andy thought I was crazy (what's new?) and told me not to change it.  Sooo...I changed it :-) What can I say?! I had a vision, and the hutch did not match my vision! I made one small change that took, oh, about 30 minutes and it totally completed the look.

All I needed was a yard of gorgeous fabric ( a Waverly canvas print from Jo~Ann Fabrics),spray adhesive, a measuring tape and scissors! First, I measured the space in between each shelf and then cut the fabric to fit. I started on the bottom shelf and I lightly sprayed one corner and matched up the fabric.  I worked my way across spraying and pressing and then worked my way down lightly stretching the fabric as I went to get a totally smooth result. Remember: A small spray goes a long way.  Do not over saturate or it will show through the fabric.  I picked a thick canvas fabric to make sure this would not happen. I repeated these steps on the next two sections and I was done! The simplicity of this project really opened my eyes to the possibilities of spray adhesive and fabric. What an awesome way to update a boring bookshelf, drawer or cabinet! Needless to say, I am now WOWed by the hutch and Andy agrees I was right to add some pop! I love being right I humbly accepted his praise.




2 comments:

  1. I love it! It really made the hutch phenomenal! I need to do this inside my cabinet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. vintage photo collage I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete